Were any of you fans of any other radio personalities?

The Bearded Pelican

inimicus inimicus meus est amicus meus™
2024 POTY
I loved radio. Howard Stern was my morning guy.
I started listening to Tom Leykis when I was 9 when his show was political. He was like Bill Maher. He then switched to Leykis 101™ when I was older. I was probably a bigger Leykis fan then I ever was of Stern. He has 100 IQ Points on Howie.
Radio in Southern California was great.
Phil Hendrie was a genius, easily the most talented ever. I was a huge fan of the guys on after Howard Stern , The Regular Guys™ .

Were you guys just Stern Fans or were you big fans of other hosts.

PooP

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
I used to spend a lot of time in the car. I listened to Stern almost religiously. Some other shows I listened to over the years O&A, Ellis, Rome, SVP and Rusillo, Mike Trivisonno, Loveline, Dan Patrick Show.

I almost never turn on the radio. I hate commercials.

drays9876

Marble Hoarder
2024 POTY
I used to listen to Elliot in the Morning on DC 101 (Howard's old station) when I was in high school. As I got older, his Stern-lite schtick got old and I stopped listening. Apparently he's still doing the same show in the same time slot, so goo' for him I suppose.

Buttfucker 3000

King of shit
2024 POTY
Art_Bell_portrait.jpg

Factotum

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
I started listening to Tom Leykis when I was 9 when his show was political. He was like Bill Maher. He then switched to Leykis 101™ when I was older. I was probably a bigger Leykis fan then I ever was of Stern. He has 100 IQ Points on Howie.
Phil Hendrie was a genius, easily the most talented ever. I was a huge fan of the guys on after Howard Stern , The Regular Guys™ .

Larry from The Regular Guys is a dbag but that was the only interesting morning show in Atlanta at one time.

Rescued Owl

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
I used to listen to Elliot in the Morning on DC 101 (Howard's old station) when I was in high school. As I got older, his Stern-lite schtick got old and I stopped listening. Apparently he's still doing the same show in the same time slot, so goo' for him I suppose.
He's still there. The work truck only has radio so I listen occasionally.
Sometimes he's not too bad but he loves to crack himself up and laughs way too long with that weird hyena laugh.

xavier

LORD SNOT
Staff member
The Management
Wacky Sidekick....

Jim Rome has been my background work noise for two decades..

The Bearded Pelican

2024 POTY
Larry from The Regular Guys is a dbag but that was the only interesting morning show in Atlanta at one time.
They made an appearance 10 minutes from my house . I went to the appearance. This was 1996 or 1997. There was no internet. I had no idea what he looked like. He signed a promotional picture I obtained there at the desk.
He was a deformed troll. Eric was normal looking but Larry shocked me. He seemed shocked at my reaction.. " You're Larry Was.Wa... CHS" lol.
Funny story when they got fired in LA. I'm going on a memory from 1996 or 1997 , but I remember the last day. Larry and Eric were told they were being fired but Larry said to the program director look let us say goodbye in the right way... let's not do the radio thing and disappear us.
Somehow, they agreed and they locked themselves in the studio and ripped the management They had to externally stop the broadcast. The management swore they'd never work in LA again and they didn't. Bad career move, but funny.

xavier

LORD SNOT
Staff member
The Management
Wacky Sidekick....
Yeah. His show is weird because you have to learn the lingo so it takes work, but once you get the lingo you get all the inside jokes. Rack it!!

Absolutely right he is an acquired taste but like I said he has been my background white noise for a long time..

He's not really a good interviewer but the rest of the show has enough chuckles throughout to make it worth tuning in

spin

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
Lee Baby Simms

"After reading a pimple cream commercial during his first show, Lee unleashed a tirade of angry calls when he described how terrible it is to get close to your girl only to have a zit pop. A Hartford Courant article a month after Simms hit town described him as "the crazy new WPOP disc jockey who doesn't like anything (including Hartford)." A Hartford Times article on January 13, 1967 quoted Lee's feelings about Hartford:

"He dislikes it 'intensely.' He thinks the kids 'dress like slobs.' He says the people are 'impolite.' On the air he contends, 'I'm rude and crude and impolite because you are....'".
Lee was the first to call downtown Hartford's new Constitution Plaza Constipation Plaza. He was arrested for telling his listeners to go there and have a snowball fight. Simms was famous for breaking the music format, going off on lengthy tirades."\

He was Howard in Hartford years before Howard.

The Bearded Pelican

2024 POTY
Absolutely right he is an acquired taste but like I said he has been my background white noise for a long time..

He's not really a good interviewer but the rest of the show has enough chuckles throughout to make it worth tuning in
Don't know ...the Jim Everett Chris Everett interview was great. I have seen both of them. Jim Rome had some intestinal fortitude messing with a guy who had 100 pounds and a foot on him.

PS

requested to leave site
2024 POTY
Around
Never had any reason to listen to the radio except for Howard.

Father O'Blivion

Preferred gender pronoun: His Majesty
2024 POTY
I wouldn't say I was a fan, but before the Wig came to town, all we had was Brother Wease. Terrible show, very much molded on the Wig's format, but with more music, less nudity, and fewer ads. It was the show where Opie got his start, and yes he sucked here too.
I also listened to Dr Demento faithfully every Sunday night.

Fudgicle

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY

HUGE Phil Hendrie fan here. I discovered him on KFI in the early days in the late 90s. I was in NorCal but after sundown, the KFI signal would come thru faintly up here. So I used to listen to the madness thru static and wondered if I was just imagining it all ("RC Collins", "all you can eat negro", etc.). I also loved Don and Mike out of D.C. (they were number one in NorCal for like 20 years), Opie and Anthony later on. My morning guy was Imus for years. Back in the day, I only knew of Howard via Imus talking shit about him, and the movie.

Uncle Larry

Former European Model
Stern Archivist Extraordinaire
2024 POTY
Like Howard, I used to listen to Steve Dahl back in the day. Also used to listen to Jim Rome and Scott Ferrall while he was on KNBR in the Bay Area in the 90s.

Fudgicle

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
KFI had a great lineup for a couple of years Tom Leykis, Joe Crummie and then Phil Hendrie.
When I think of KFI, I always think of Jon & Ken too. Mainly because of that time they camped out in front of Scott Peterson's house and screamed at him with a bullhorn that he killed his wife. Saw an old tv movie about the case and they featured them in it. So somebody had to actually hire Jon & Ken impersonators. LOL.

Rupert Pupkin

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
The RG OG's
Bob Grant Angry Political talk (WOR-710 AM) then WABC 770 "Get off my phone before I punch your dumb nose down your even dumber throat!"

Pete Franklin Even though I grew up in the northern NYC suburbs, many of us accidentally found Franklin' Cleveland-based sports talk show (1100 AM) when we were tuning into 1130 AM (WNEW) which carried the Knicks and Ranger games in the 70s and 80s. Franklin always said WWWE was a 50,000 Watt, Clear Channel station.

Sidebar: 1130 turned into WFAN which moved over to Howard's former station 660-WNBC when GE sold off the NBC-owned stations

Project Ben-Rae

Marble Hoarder
2024 POTY

That first time you see what Leykis looks like is a jarring experience. That Buchwald has a stable full of freaks.
iu

Maxwell Reynolds

Local man
2024 POTY
Doug Hoerth got me into radio when I was in high school. Very little of him on YouTube but he always sounded like he was having a blast. Other than him and Howard I'd mainly listen to sports talk. Tony Bruno. Jim Rome. Tony Kornheiser. Locally Mark Madden until I grew tired of his shtick. But I stopped listening to radio altogether years ago when they just went crazy with breaks.

The Bearded Pelican

2024 POTY
That first time you see what Leykis looks like is a jarring experience. That Buchwald has a stable full of freaks.
iu
Stern was more jarring to me. Leykis is regular ugly. As he aged he looks like a bleached Jabba The Hut® though. He always was pretty honest. He always said he was ugly and women were with him because he was wealthy and famous unlike Howie who has false memories of being a Cocksman.

Pell-EL

Kandor's most wanted
2024 POTY
Back in the day? Howards was #1 by far... We had Dee Snyder in CT who was cool. and when Bubba came, I'd listen to him of s=Stern off days, but I was loyal. Now I'll visit YouTube to listen to anyone but him... Ron and Fez, O&A especially. I'll only listen to Pre Artie leaving for the most part, unless its an ETM skit

Project Ben-Rae

Marble Hoarder
2024 POTY
Stern was more jarring to me. Leykis is regular ugly. As he aged he looks like a bleached Jabba The Hut® though. He always was pretty honest. He always said he was ugly and women were with him because he was wealthy and famous unlike Howie who has false memories of being a Cocksman.
Leykis has the best Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Back