SHIT THREAD Phish playing four nights at The Sphere.

ericd

No Whammy...No Whammy
2024 POTY
I'm excited about this, but tickets will be a pain in the ass. Will be a fun experience, though. Their lighting director is one of the best in the game, so I'm stoked to see what he does with The Sphere technology.
SpherePHISHCOMBanner.jpg
Do you think they will add more shows? Everything I've heard about the sphere suggests that a band would almost need to set up an extended residency to recoup the cost of producing a show for the venue.

If they stick to the 4 day run, it'll be interesting to see how they come out of Vegas financially

FunkySeeFunkyDo

I Do Believe We're Naked
2024 POTY
Do you think they will add more shows? Everything I've heard about the sphere suggests that a band would almost need to set up an extended residency to recoup the cost of producing a show for the venue.

If they stick to the 4 day run, it'll be interesting to see how they come out of Vegas financially
I doubt they will add more. That's interesting about the cost to perform. Do you have a link to that? I want to share it with my Phish friends.

ericd

No Whammy...No Whammy
2024 POTY
I doubt they will add more. That's interesting about the cost to perform. Do you have a link to that? I want to share it with my Phish friends.
No link, I heard Eddie Trunk talking about it on his show when U2 started their residency. He also talked about a smaller sphere recently opening in Burbank that would help to lower some of the visuals programming costs.

I read Phish was planning to change set lists nightly, where U2 has stuck pretty much with the same songs from the Achtung Baby album with few deviations.

With the current cost of producing a video production inside the Sphere, 4 nights is probably going to be right at the break even point. That's why I'm pretty confident Phish will either add shows to the 4 night run or perhaps swing back through for another run in late 2024 or early 25.

daveindiego

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
No link, I heard Eddie Trunk talking about it on his show when U2 started their residency. He also talked about a smaller sphere recently opening in Burbank that would help to lower some of the visuals programming costs.

I read Phish was planning to change set lists nightly, where U2 has stuck pretty much with the same songs from the Achtung Baby album with few deviations.

With the current cost of producing a video production inside the Sphere, 4 nights is probably going to be right at the break even point. That's why I'm pretty confident Phish will either add shows to the 4 night run or perhaps swing back through for another run in late 2024 or early 25.
It looked like U2 was using a bunch of video to accompany their setlist.

I don’t think Phish is going to use a lot of video behind them, I think it will be more psychedelic background. Their lighting director is a defacto 5th member, and I think he will have his way.

I am walking around in disbelief that I got tix for all 4 nights.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

I Do Believe We're Naked
2024 POTY

Yea, all the shows will have different sets. They could, theoretically, do it again at Halloween maybe, but that's a lot of Vegas shows for them. Also they have a festival coming in Delaware in 24, so I really do think theyll just have one Sphere run.

It looked like U2 was using a bunch of video to accompany their setlist.

I don’t think Phish is going to use a lot of video behind them, I think it will be more psychedelic background. Their lighting director is a defacto 5th member, and I think he will have his way.

I am walking around in disbelief that I got tix for all 4 nights.
Im curious about Kuroda's role in this; like will he have help with the creation of the graphics and whatnot. This is a really new canvas for him. It's gonna be wild.

Ray Epps

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
I wonder if there is a difference in clean up and security costs for U2 vs. Phish?

FunkySeeFunkyDo

I Do Believe We're Naked
2024 POTY
Im wondering if one of these shows could be a gamehendge night. While I don't really think they really ever do it again, this would be a the perfect venue to bring the story to life.....

Mr Cachexic

Red Sox are the greatest franchise in sports
2024 POTY
I can’t imagine how horrible a phish show would be. The smell of B.O. wouod be overwhelming.

But you do you
Its 4 hours of you watching people get high while like 7 people fiddle around on stage doing whatever masturbation shit they do, sounds like normal bands tuning their instruments before actually playing

But this band just never plays music

And the fans just go to get high anyway so dont notice the band

Its a mystery to me why they have fans

FunkySeeFunkyDo

I Do Believe We're Naked
2024 POTY
Its 4 hours of you watching people get high while like 7 people fiddle around on stage doing whatever masturbation shit they do, sounds like normal bands tuning their instruments before actually playing

But this band just never plays music

And the fans just go to get high anyway so dont notice the band

Its a mystery to me why they have fans
I mean....they do though. Most of their improv has a groove or a theme to it....

FtR, Ive seen. many Phish shows sober, to the same effect.

You should check out the "Anatomy of a Jam" stuff on Youtube. It goes into how complex the improv is. It's insane how they do this almost unconsciously.

xavier

LORD SNOT
Staff member
The Management
Wacky Sidekick....

Bro the whole point is that they're celebrating the anniversary of achtung baby... would be kind of odd if they didn't play any songs off that album on a given night

With the average cost of a ticket to a 20,000 seat venue they're making $10 million a night... give or take a buck or two

and have added more shows due to demand into March from what was originally a 25-day residency

Currently they are building a solar array because it costs the equivalent of a few thousand homes to light that fucker and for those who don't know that thing is on 24 hours a day

Lurch

What do you do for a living?
2024 POTY
I mean....they do though. Most of their improv has a groove or a theme to it....

FtR, Ive seen. many Phish shows sober, to the same effect.

You should check out the "Anatomy of a Jam" stuff on Youtube. It goes into how complex the improv is. It's insane how they do this almost unconsciously.
I have to say, I was never a fan of Phish back in the day, but mainly because I was never a big Dead fan, and to me at least, Phish was portrayed as the "new Dead", so I never really gave them a chance. But for some reason, and this has just occurred over the past 6 months, I have found myself turning on the Phish channel, especially on longer car drives during work hours....and I have been really liking it....it really has a calming effect....and I almost prefer just the jam portions, no singing...

So while I won't be going to any concerts, I at least have started to see the charm....

FunkySeeFunkyDo

I Do Believe We're Naked
2024 POTY
I have to say, I was never a fan of Phish back in the day, but mainly because I was never a big Dead fan, and to me at least, Phish was portrayed as the "new Dead", so I never really gave them a chance. But for some reason, and this has just occurred over the past 6 months, I have found myself turning on the Phish channel, especially on longer car drives during work hours....and I have been really liking it....it really has a calming effect....and I almost prefer just the jam portions, no singing...

So while I won't be going to any concerts, I at least have started to see the charm....
Yea. I think the Dead/Phish thing is a bit of a false equivalency. They really don't sound anything alike, outside of both having a large element of improv. I think the fanbase overlaps more than the actual music.

The jam portions are the reason people continuously see the band. I love the songs, but that's not what keeps me coming back. And totally...there is something relaxing/meditative about a jam going really deep. Especially in the way Phish does it. There is a sense of formlessness, so it becomes really expansive. And there is a narrative element to their improv; the jams unfold like a story.

Back